| Event code | FR-BUL/06970/CHN |
|---|---|
| Main category | Fire |
| Sub category | residential/domestic fire |
| Event date (UTC) | Wed, 26 Nov 2025 16:55:24 +0000 |
| Last update (UTC) | Sat, 29 Nov 2025 07:08:48 +0000 |
| Continent | Asia |
|---|---|
| Country | China |
| Administration area | Hong Kong Special Administrative Region |
| Settlement | Hong Kong |
| Exact location | Tai Po District |
| Open Location Code: | 7PJPF4GQ+F4 |
| Size of affected area | Local event |
| Additional events |
Deprecated: explode(): Passing null to parameter #2 ($string) of type string is deprecated in /data/www/map.crisisinfo.eu/modules/event/event_index.php on line 271 None or not detected. |
| Urgency | Past |
|---|---|
| Certainty | Observed |
| Severity | Extreme |
| Category | Fire |
A deadly blaze tore through several high-rise apartment towers in Hong Kong on Wednesday, killing at least 13 people and setting off an urgent rescue effort for an unknown number of people trapped inside. The cause of the fire was not immediately known. Hundreds of firefighters struggled to contain the inferno, which apparently started in one building in the Tai Po district around 2:50 p.m. local time. The flames spread across multiple high-rise towers and sent smoke billowing across the city’s northern New Territories. Several buildings were still ablaze late into the evening, more than six hours after the fire started. The towers are in a dense complex known as Wang Fuk Court that includes about 2,000 apartments. Built in the early 1980s, they were sheathed at the time of the blaze in bamboo scaffolding, which is widely used in Hong Kong to construct and repair buildings. A fire services department official said at a news briefing that 13 people had died, including a firefighter, and at least 15 others were injured. A government spokeswoman had said earlier that three of the first five injured people treated at hospitals were in critical condition, according to a report from the city’s hospital authority. The authorities raised their most severe fire alarm for the first time in nearly two decades. Officials with the police and fire services said they had received numerous calls for help from residents trapped inside the buildings. Herman Yiu Kwan-ho, a former district councilor in Tai Po, said that he was in touch with a group of local residents, some of whom live in one of the buildings that caught fire. “More than 10 residents said their family members are still at their homes,” he said by phone. The Hong Kong Fire Services Department said that it had sent 760 rescuers to the site. John Lee, the chief executive of Hong Kong, said that he was activating the city’s Emergency Accident Monitoring and Support Center.
Hong Kong's anti-graft body on Friday said it had arrested eight people in connection with a fire that ripped through a high-rise apartment complex killing at least 128 people with 200 still missing in the city's worst fire in nearly 80 years.
Authorities said they had concluded rescue operations at the Wang Fuk Court complex in the northern district of Tai Po, but warned the death toll may still rise. The fire in the Wang Fuk Court development started on Wednesday afternoon and rapidly engulfed seven of the eight 32-storey blocks in the complex. "We do not rule out the possibility that more bodies could be discovered when police enter the building for detailed investigations," Hong Kong Security Chief Chris Tang told a press conference. Tang also said fire alarms in the complex had not been working properly. The estate housing more than 4,600 people had been wrapped in bamboo scaffolding and green mesh for the renovations. On Friday, dozens gathered at the scene with mourners laying flower tributes in front of the charred and smouldering buildings, while distressed residents, many of them elderly, surveyed the remains of their homes. “This is my home. Look over there, the 10th floor, that’s where my home was. By the hills, that’s where my home used to be," one resident, identified only as Miss Yu, said. "I really want to go back home, but my home is probably gone now. They won’t let us go back, so when I look in that direction, my heart feels so heavy.”
Hong Kong’s worst residential fire in more than half a century has killed at least 55 people, the city’s fire department said on the afternoon of Nov 27. Fire service officials told a news conference that 51 died at the scene, while four died in hospital. They added that blazes in four of the eight apartment blocks in the estate had been extinguished and three fires were under control. One building was not affected. The incident has left hundreds missing, as rescue workers race to extinguish the blaze and Chinese President Xi Jinping urges all-out efforts to reduce casualties. Rescue efforts continued overnight after a fire that began around 3pm local time on Nov 26 turned an eight-tower housing complex in northern Hong Kong into an inferno, sending thick black smoke billowing into the sky. Officials said the blaze began on a section of the bamboo scaffolding encasing the complex, which is still widely used in the city. Hong Kong Chief Executive John Lee said 279 people were still feared missing, while city authorities announced a criminal investigation will be pursued. Police arrested two directors and a consultant from an engineering company on suspicion of manslaughter, as the city battled its most deadly housing fire since a blaze at a tenement building killed 44 in 1962. “Protective netting, fire-resistant cloth and plastic sheeting on the exterior of the building burned far more intensely and spread much faster than compliant materials normally would,” Secretary for Security Chris Tang told reporters. Mr Xi asked other local governments to aid Hong Kong in the rescue mission, and expressed condolences to the families of the deceased and injured. Hong Kong’s government was already under pressure to clean up the city’s housing sector, after China’s top leader called to create “more decent” homes for the poor in one of the world’s most expensive real estate markets. Housing complexes in the former British colony are typically densely populated, with multi-generational families often living inside one small apartment.
| Number of dead: | 128 person(s) |
|---|---|
| Number of injured: | 15 person(s) |
| Number of Affected: | 0 person(s) |
| Number of Rescued/evacuated: | 0 person(s) |
| Number of Missing: | 200 person(s) |
| Number of Infected: | 0 person(s) |
| Code2 | CN |
|---|---|
| Code | CHN |
| Name | China |
| LocalName | Zhongquo |
| GovernmentForm | People'sRepublic |
| Continent | Asia |
| Region | Eastern Asia |
| SurfaceArea | 9572900.00 |
| IndepYear | -1523 |
| Population | 1277558000 |
| LifeExpectancy | 71.4 |
| GNP | 982268.00 |
| GNPOld | 917719.00 |
| Capital | 1891 |